Monday, June 30, 2014

Are You Juice-Confused?

I juice and when I’m not juicing I’m spending (too much) money on juices from juice shops or taking pictures of my juices. In this juice-centric universe I live in it’s easy to lose sight of the fact that when most people think juice it’s still apple/orange/cranberry that come to mind. A client asked, “what do you mean when you say green juice” uh oh I assumed (remember the grammar school spelling trick- don't assume  it makes an “ass” out of “u” and “me”). 

Since I'm an ass, I asked Joanna our Snack Queen to morph into a juice queen and answer some questions:
For my client and the others out there who are juice-confused, what is a green juice?
 It is exactly what it sounds, a juice made from greens. In the same way you get orange juice from an orange, green juice is derived from kale, spinach, collard greens, chard, watercress etc.
Ha, I always thought it sounds like a juice that is the color green. Greens are healthy but oftentimes there are other ingredients lurking; some juices are actually chock full of fruit, how do you pick a good one?
To steer clear of sugary green juices, your best bet is to choose a concoction with max ONE fruit per green juice not counting lemon or lime. You said in June’s Allure magazine that green juices can contain 6 teaspoons of sugar and that was shocking to me but sure enough options from Blue Print and Evolution have 19-24 grams of sugar (there are four grams of sugar per teaspoon).
How come people don’t think about organic when it comes to green juice and why is it especially important?  
Because so much produce (up to 6 to 9 cups) is used to make juice, you don’t want to be drinking a glass of pesticides. Some favorite NYC options to go for organic juices are One Lucky Duck, Gingersnaps Organics and Organic Avenue. And a great resource is Living Maxwell’s PressedJuice Directory that lists locations where you can find pressed organic juice all over the world. He also interviewed you about your juicing habit.
We’ve been on lookout for less sweet green juices (especially since we quit sugar our month ends today but still) what would you say are our top 5 less sweet concoctions?
1. One Lucky Duck -Mean Greens 
2. Juice Press- Mother Earth this was the first all-greens juice I really enjoyed, love the dandelion
3. Organic Avenue - Mellow Love  this is Carolyn's favorite.
These two have 1 fruit
4. Juice Generation Supa Dupa Greens- we have made with ½ apple
5. Gingersnap Organics- Go Kick -the pear makes this delicious.

Thanks J, see you at the Fancy Food Show. 


Do you juice? What are your favorite combinations? Any favorite juice shops in your area? 

3 comments:

  1. Great round up j, my mission this summer is to start home juicing more. I love summers and grass roots in BK but sadly not all organic. Rumor has it there is a new juice gen in the hood though, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a juicer C? Fun to experiment with wacky farmer's market ingredients. I have some sorrel from market about to "smooth" with. I would ask at local BK places bc more people who ask organic, more likely to go that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Lauren. I thought many times but somehow could not muster courage to try Green juices. After going thru your article, I have made up my mind to give it a shot.

    Cheers,
    Arnold Ray

    ( Moderator - isGoodForHealth.com )

    ReplyDelete