Thursday, January 24, 2013

Is it Possible to Freeze Your Ass Off?

I am used to freezing when we’re in Vermont; however, I am unprepared for the tundra that NYC has become this week. It is so cold it hurts and while I have moments of finding this invigorating, those are fleeting. So while fleeing the flu was last week’s mission, this week it’s all about heat seeking.
Please avoid this pose should you purchase one of these hats
Hat Head Schmat Heat
I know many women (and my newly vain sons) shun hats because of static and hat head but please.  I can even make the argument that winter hats do not need to be removed at the dinner table. My favorite hats are Mischa Lampert’s. These are as warm as it gets. They’re sold at Anthropologie and online but if you need an excuse to go to Jackson Hole you'll find them at Rodeo, one of my favorite shops.
Matcha Steamer
I talked about my matcha obsession last week. For a hot chocolate riff, I like to heat nut milk and add spices and a little sweetness. On twitter someone suggested a Matcha Steamer-genius. It was like those rare moments when two of your friends like each other as much as you like them. I’m not the type of person who is ever bothered by this. One spoonful of beautiful matcha, a cup of heated homemade almond milk, whisk them together to avoid matcha being antisocial at the bottom of the mug. And at the last minute I invited cardamom and stevia. Try it, it’s good.

White Chili
I have a go-to  Rosaberry Chili recipe.  And most Wednesday nights when my boys have hockey it’s sitting on the stove when then come home. I’ve always been curious about chili variations. I made this White Bean and Chicken Chili VT this weekend. Leave it to smiley Giada to concoct a dish that could rival any traditional chili. This white chili, as the name suggests,  is tomato-free and  incorporates Swiss chard and corn. I used gluten free flour, just watch the chili powder. I increased the recipe and shouldn’t have increased the chili powder by the same factor. The adults liked it. I had the opposite error with this Moroccan Lentil Soup (spinach, cauliflower and turmeric in this one). I used low sodium broth, Pomi boxed tomatoes (very low salt) and we needed to salt it a bit once cooked. Don’t let my seasoning slip-ups turn you off, both are great recipes.

Artic Skin
Bon Appetit declared sea buckthorn the ingredient of the moment. Let’s be clear that I blogged about it first. They said it has a “sour patch kid flavor” raw. You sour patch people may be intrigued. I’m loving sea buckthorn lotion and slathering it on every family member. I’m also relying on Joanna Vargas’ Daily Serum, which was described to me as “green juice for your skin”. Sold.


Love a Good Placemat
I must be nesting/hibernating because suddenly I’m talking hats and housewares. I’m crazy about these placemats from Chilewich.

And to answer the initial question, it turns out you can “freeze your ass off” sort of.
This is a fun post but this time of year when it’s cold and dark can be difficult. If there’s someone who may be having a hard time or simply someone you haven’t heard from, reach out. Make them matcha, drop off some soup. Don’t wait until it’s too late.
It is freezing where you live? What are your favorite wintry items or recipes? Do you like hats? Can you think of anyone to reach out to this time of year?




10 comments:

  1. Andrea@WellnessNotesJanuary 24, 2013 at 3:44 AM

    I've been so spoiled, living in California for over 20 years. The other day everyone was constantly talking about how cold it was because temps got down to the upper 20s at night... :) I don't think I could handle the cold anymore.


    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think about how many calories I am burning when I am freezing, JUST to make myself feel better about being.....freezing. Yes, it IS cold here in Columbus, so cold I can't even "flare my nostrils". It's awful. I want soup all day long, especially chili (and chicken chili is one of my favorites!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely hate the cold weather and the winter is such a tough time for me. I can't stand all the "stuff" that comes with it - jackets, scarves, gloves, etc. And I don't like being cold. And don't get me started on the snow and the delays it causes (I'm a schedule-based Type A person). I guess this year our way of dealing with it was to book a trip to the Bahamas because that's what we just did! We don't leave for a month but it's something to look forward to at least. Just the thought of putting on a bathing suit is enough to get me through :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please appreciate that sun and say hello for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dangle that tropical carrot, distraction is always a good technique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm for some reason my previous post didn't go through--but it is definitely freezing here and I sure hope my brown fat is in turbo mode because the chilly temps are killing my afternoon walks! my favorite part about winter is pretty scarves (they disguise boring outfits and even bad hair days perfectly) and my favorite recipe is a winter minestrone! http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/winter-minestrone-10000001696593/

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's blogger I think many people saying can't comment, if only Blogger stress burned calories would be per-fect. Yum minestrone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is FREEZING and with a baby I am like a shut in. Blah. I freeze my ass off always ha. Last night shoveling our driveway? I lasted 30 minutes...much longer than I thought I Would...but couldn't feel my toes or fingers afterwards. I'm a freeze baby.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son came home this week to celebrate his birthday. I was so happy because it's freezing in Boston. He enjoyed the warm Florida weather. Sorry you are freezing Lauren. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lauren you make me LOL! This is the second post that I notice you refer to sea buckthorn as sea buckhorn. Not being mean just pointing is out!! :)

    ReplyDelete