Thursday, January 20, 2011

Prune PR



 I don’t know where things went so wrong. I doubt it’s entirely about looks. After all the date, which after living in New Orleans, seems the fruit that most closely resembles a cockroach hasn’t been slowed down.  And if it’s a matter of wrinkles then why are raisins in every preschooler’s lunchbox? With the exception of dried cranberries, dried fruits aren’t fruity beauty queens.

So if it’s not a matter of appearance, is it about, you know, poop? Prunes seem to have this grandma reputation because they help move things along. After over 10 years practicing nutrition I cannot wrap my brain around this being a bad thing. We are a people pursuing the perfect poop; if prunes are a poop producer shouldn’t this make them praiseworthy? 

As the sweatshirt (which sadly I don’t own) states, I love prunes and I’m hoping us prune-lovers can band together. I’m not in favor of the name change either. In 2000, the prune board conducted 10 million dollars to convert prunes to dried plums. Oh well, it was only 10 million and guess what? Didn’t work. They’re still prunes.

Prunes are unique; it’s not only the fiber content but also the amount of sorbitol  (as in sugar free candy) naturally in prunes that helps relieve constipation. Prunes are a great source of potassium and also B vitamins and magnesium. Prunes are also powerful antioxidants and contain compounds known as phenols. Prunes make a great snack or dessert with 4-5 for 100 calories. When you buy prunes, try to find those that haven’t been treated with sulfites.

Pruney Recipes:
Stewed Prunes- great with Green yogurt or Ricotta cheese
Prune Snack Bars (I would use a flour other than soy flour)
Bacon wrapped Prunes- use nitrite free bacon for this.
Finally, from the shiksa in the kitchen (and is there a better blog name) hamantaschen anyone?

 So be honest, are you a prune lover? What do you think accounts for their uncool fruit-loser reputation? How do you like to eat prunes? Or do you call them dried plums?



7 comments:

  1. It's interesting that you blogged about Prunes. I cannot say I am a lover or hater. Just not something I typically put on my weekly shopping list. I did used to eat prunes in college when my digestive system was less than stellar, so maybe I have come to associate them with the poop scenario you mention. Thanks for bringing prunes back into mind. I think I will pick some up this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing prunes have you as their publicist! I have always loved prunes, although not sure I'd sport the sweatshirt. Like you said, I think a common fear of prunes stems from their appearance. Since they are so great at naturally helping to keep regular, it's a good idea to puree them like in the snack bar recipe, or to chop them up to add to salads and other dishes, so that they are less noticeable than looking like giant raisins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I love you for writing about this. I LOVE LOVE LOVE prunes, and I so want that sweatshirt! I have 2 prunes each morning to help get things, achem, going. I've even tried using them as a substitute for oil in recipes (not so good), and sometimes if I'm in the right mood, they'll help with a nighttime sugar craving instead of chocolate.
    Three cheers for PRUNES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love prunes. Yes, for how they taste. And also for what they do :) Good for you for standing up for this underdog fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy to "meet" you here! What an informative site you've created. I'll look forward to reading your future posts. I must admit that I have not and probably will not consider myself a prune lover. However, I am planning to make a prune cake next week that will hopefully change my perspective! :-) Have a wonderful weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. he he they are not bad like dates better thanks so much for the congrats

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    I LOVE prunes. I eat them with a dab of peanut butter, like a mini, bread-less PB and J!

    ReplyDelete